My blog periodically contains affiliate links meaning that if you make a purchase, I might make a small commission at no extra charge to you. Purchases made through them are greatly appreciated.
In this post I share some really cool ottoman bench ideas that you could easily DIY. Not everyone wants to DIY an upholstered ottoman bench so I created a selection of some really pretty ottoman benches that can be either purchased or created. So below I will give you some ideas on how to transform a piece you ay have in your house and would like to refresh.
My DIY Upholstered Ottoman
I had created this DIY upholstered ottoman bench a few years ago. You can read that post here. When I found this piece from a lady selling it on the roadside I quickly saw all the potential that it had and hope to show you how you can also see the potential and hidden beauty in things. See below on my picks, you can easily buy as is if you aren’t into DIY. Do you have an old upholstered or even non upholstered ottoman bench you would like to repurpose?
Easy steps to DIY an upholstered ottoman bench
All you need is a wooden ottoman bench, foam- cut to size and your favorite textile. These are quick easy steps to follow:
- You can either refinish the wood by sanding an adding a poly acrylic topcoat, or painting it.
- I always suggest to use a stain blocking primer first. This helps to block out any tannins in the wood. Then pick your favorite Benjamin Moore paint color. Then Buy a tester in this color (you will be surprised at how little paint you will actually need)
- USe only quality brushes, Like Purdy. They are more expensive, however your results will be better. If you take care of these brushes they will last for years.
- Buy upholstery foam then cut to size using the seat measurement as your template.
- Pick your Textile. I suggest to use home goods textile since this is more durable than textile that you would use for apparel.
- Lay your textile down, place your foam in the middle. Then wrap the foam in your fabric and you can easily sew or use a Sew Glue to close up the seams.
- Place the seam on seat to hide and Voilé! Now you have an instant upholstered cushion.
- You can add any sort of trim you like. For instance for the leather detail above, you can buy a faux leather trim, or small amount of fabric and using tacky glue to arms.
How Find these Looks
- The Magnolia Line at target has a great wooden bench with an upholstered cushion . The arms have a leather strap detail.
2. Classic-meets-modern bench features an upholstered linen blend cushion for a true form-follows-function piece that lends elegance to wherever it’s placed.
With any old or dark bench, you can sand down the finish and reseal with a poly acrylic. If your bench is a specific size you can also search amazon for upholstered cushions that you can accessories your bench with.
3. Each textile is hand-knotted according to centuries-old specialized Berber weaving techniques – and is paired, in a thoroughly modern marriage, with a sleek brass base.
This bench has a metal base. By taking an old metal base bench and add a cut to size foam. You can then wrap your textile around the entire base and secure underneath. So that this will make this one seamless piece between metal base and soft textile top.
Additional cool Upholstered ottoman benches
Below are some picks of some cool upholstered ottoman benches that if you aren’t into DIY are some great choices. So whether you decide to DIY or buy a fun upholstered ottoman bench there are so many choices.
If you need any tricks or tips please feel free to email me. Please share below your DIY upholstered ottoman projects!