These open when letters are a great way to send someone you love off with a gift that keeps on giving for awhile. Perfect for a college student, friend or family member, moving away, or for a long distant relationship. They cover everything! What to put in open when letters can be a lot of fun and really personal and unique to the gift giver and receiver. I have a complete list below!
Open When Letters
My blog periodically contains affiliate links meaning that if you make a purchase, I might make a small commission at no extra charge to you. Purchases made through them are greatly appreciated.
What are open when letters and how do they work?
These fun open when letters work as small gifts that can be given as a package to the recipient. You add your open when label on the outside, then fill the envelope with a corresponding gift. The first open when envelope is the open now, so that the recipient knows the rules!
This is a great gift that depending on how many open when envelopes you give can last weeks, if not months.
Packaging your open when letters
This is really up to you! there are lots of ways to do this it just depends on what you want. Here are some suggestions for packaging
- Can use craft envelopes for all your open when labels then tie it up in a bow
- Use colorful envelopes for a more colorful stack
- Different size envelopes depending on the gifts you want tp add inside.
- Can use small gift bags and put open when labels on outside, then package this all up in a box or basket.
- Or any other variation! This is totally up to you and how you would like to present your open when letters.
Corresponding gifts for each open when letter
A few ideas for the following open when letters. Below are some suggestions for gifts that work with some of the open when letter titles.
What do you write in open when letters?
When filling up these open when envelopes handwritten letters are such a great sentimental touch. An encouraging note may be just what a person needs when opening an “open when you need a confidence boost” letter.
Open when you need a confidence boost
- Handwritten words of encouragement
- A small mirror to reflect themselves with a note ” you got this!”
- Photos that they can have on hand to remind them of family and friends
Open when you need some sleep
- Book on meditation
- Herbal tea packet
- Sleep mask
Open when you are sick
- Pack of Emergen C-help fight off that cold
- Travel size advil/tylenol– to reduce a fever
- Ricola– for a sore throat
- Travel size packet of tissue-Got the sniffles
- Thermometer– take a quick temperature check
Open when you need a laugh
- Book of dad jokes– we can all use a laugh even if it’s a bad joke.
- Funny photos– Good reminder of fun times.
Open when you need to make a decision
- Wise quote– type out a bunch and stick in one of the envelopes.
- Coin that they can flip- put a penny in one with a note to flip it.
- Crazy 8 ball– This mini one can do the trick
Open when you are stressed
- Stress ball– keep on hand when studying for a test
- Fidget toy– Help to deal with Anxiety
- Book on meditation– Learn to relax and stay in the moment
Open when you are bored
- Coloring book– Pass the time away coloring in beautiful designs.
- Colored pencils– Pair this with the coloring book
- Crossword puzzle book– Pocket size
- Puzzles– keep busy with this fun National parks one.
Open when you celebrate a birthday
- Birthday candles– Order some cupcakes and they can place these fun candles on.
- Paper umbrellas– Decorate a drink with these festive umbrellas.
- Happy birthday banner– Decorations to help make for a fun birthday celebration.
- Colorful No Mess Paper Crackers– Love these, no mess!
Open when you need inspiration
- Tickets to an upcoming exhibit- pick something and then surprise them with a visit!
- Printable monthly quotes– Check out these inspirational calendars so easy to make.
What to put on your open when letters
You can make any open when letter you want! Below are some of my open when labels that I have created. Scroll down further for a list of all the open when printables by theme I have made. Just download, print and add to any envelope or gift bag.
Yes this is always a great go to, but remember to add the gift cards that most represent the person you are giving this to.
Small gifts that work well for open when letters
Since I am packing these all in envelopes I need envelope sized gifts. I have compiled a list below of some items I will be adding to my sons open when letters for college students.
- Scratch off game cards– Fun and you never know!
- Pocket Crossword Puzzles
- Push Pop Bubble Sensory Fidget Toy for Pressure and Stress
- CASH- You can never go wrong giving a college student some of this!
- Sleep mask– a great gift for open when you can’t sleep
You can purchase small gifts as shown below that will fit well in envelopes. Put them all in a small box ad present or mail to the one receiving these! Such a fun and thoughtful gift to give. No two open when letters will ever be the same since these are all so personal.
- Boho Aesthetic Stickers– Can be used for laptop cases, bulletin boards, journals and more.
- Amazon gift card– A gift card is always appreciated!
- Airpods– This is a bigger purchase, but great for a graduation birthday or big event gift.
- Numeral Birthday Candles– Stick these in an envelope and then have cupcakes or a cake delivered!
- Instax Mini Instant Film– For making more memories, sprinkle in some photos for a memory themed envelope.
- Apple AirTag Leather Key Ring– Perfect to add to car or room keys, never lose them again.
- Sterling Silver Anti Anxiety Ring– For those stressful moments.
Printables gifts for open when letters
So many ideas that you can either make, print or buy to add to your open when letters.
- Letters of encouragement
- Printed photos
- Inspirational quotes
- Printed jokes
- Quizzes or games that you can print
- Recipes– My son will have to cook twice a month in the house he is moving into. A recipe will be very helpful!
- Birthday card– if their birthday falls during their away time
- Calendar– then mark off special dates and events
Tickets for open when letters
you student is feeling lonely or homesick? print a coupon or an actual open ended ticket some sugestions are:
- Train ticket– find the schedule then either print a mock ticket with open ended date.
- Plane ticket– More expensive option but maybe this is where you find a deal!
- One car pick up from you– This is a get out of jail free card for most students- a lifeline at times.
- Bus ticket– depending on where they are.
- Gas card – if they have their own car or car pool with someone else.
- Uber ride– If too far from home, maybe this would be close enough to a relatives, or friends for a visit.
Subscriptions and apps
In this day and age we can easily gift someone with a digital subscription. If they are already on your Netflix, Amazon prime and HBO subscriptions you can always add the following as one:
- One of their choices
Additional ideas for open when letters
Additional ideas that can work either in an evelope or in a small envelope are:
- Books– I am actually giving my son Connor “The Alchemist” it is one of my favorite. It is a fable about following your dreams.
- Jewelry– Cute pair of earrings or an inspirational bracelet.
- Airpods– this is a more pricey item but can be put in a birthday envelope or an achievement one.
- Colored pencils– for anyone who loves to doodle.
- pocket size Journal– Check out my Printable Journal where you can download and add to your Open When
- Chargers– Because if your student is like mine, they are always losing these!
- Stickers– put a sheet in one of the open when envelopes so they can use
Food items for open when envelopes
- Stress relief Tea– When they need something to calm down with
- Chocolate kisses– for hugs and kisses envelope
- Packet of soup– Again for hen they are hungry or sick
- microwaveable popcorn– Good for movie night
- Protein bar– These RX bars are great for a meal on the run or a quick snack
- Honey Straws– Extra sweetness in their day
- Gummis– No, the candy ones!
Self care items for open when
Who doesn’t like a little pampering? These small pampering gifts below re perfect to add to an open when feeling tired, burnt out, low energy, stressed, etc. You can decide the perfect open when envelope for these self care products below.
- 5 Derma Care Mask Set
- Tocca Mini Hand Cream
- Incense Sticks
- Slip Silk Sleep Mask
- Shower Steamer
- Self-Warming Hand and Cuticle Mask
- 30 Full Spectrum Sun Silk Drops
Open when letters
I created 3 series of open when letters that you can easily get on my Etsy store as a quick digital download for the open when college series, the other ones are free downloads!
- 15 Open When Letters For College Students
- 16 Open When Letters For Boyfriend or Girlfriend
- Open When Letters For your Best Friend
All you need to do is download these labels, then stick them on envelopes then fill them with corresponding gifts. Depends on what you plan to add so you can even use manilla envelopes, or a gift bags. I love the idea of envelopes to keep it as simple and compact as possible for the one receiving it.
I even have additional blank “open when” labels so you can fill out your own ideas! So easy to use and a perfect gift.
Thanks for stopping by!