My blog periodically contains affiliate links meaning that if you make a purchase, I might make a small commission at no extra charge to you. Purchases made through them are greatly appreciated.
In this post I share open when letters that I created for college students. Specifically for my daughter, Emma who is a college freshman. These fun and sentimental open when letters are a great support for any college student who has to adjust to college life.
I created these open when letters for college students when I saw the need for little things like, a word of encouragement, an extra special coffee, a train ticket home, or overall letters that can make any college student feel like they have home at their fingertips. This past year has been especially difficult, so any extra surprise is always welcomed. Part of the magic of these open when envelopes is the special momentums that these can be filled with. Each stack of “Open When” letters will be unique depending on the content.
Open When printables – Message on each
- Open now – which explains the envelopes
- It’s your first night away at college
- Need a good laugh
- Can’t sleep
- You are stressed
- You’re feeling homesick
- Low on cash
- You are feeling sick
- Miss my cooking
- you need to smile
- Feeling sad
- You are up late studying
- Need some extra energy
- Extra encouragement is needed
- Need a confidence boost
First open when letter
- This letter should be the first one opened so they know what to expect:
- No peeking!
- Open only, when the topic applies at the moment.
- Don’t open up more than one or two in a week.
- Send me a selfie with your letter when you open it.
- Save them to remember that nothing stays the same forever!
Items to put in your letters
- Funny stories: to brighten their day, or remind them to not take themselves too seriously.
- Trinkets: stickers, confetti, lifesavers, fun erasers, pens, etc. Anything small enough to fit in an envelope.
- Handwritten notes: sometimes just your words are all they need to read.
- Quotes: This can be perfect when some motivation is needed.
- Giftcards: small gift cards, to a favorite coffee shop, cafe, or bookstore.
- Old photos: can be a great reminder of fun days and funny moments.
Some of my open when letters include
First night away at college -a handwritten note of all the great accomplishments of the past year and all the wonderful things to look forward to.
Can’t sleep– a packet of herbal tea and a suggestion of a meditation link from You Tube
Miss my cooking– since my daughter has a full kitchen, a recipe printout of one of my favorite dishes that she can recreate on her own. If no kitchen is available for others a gift card to a fun cafe for a special lunch or dinner to break up the cafeteria food.
You’re feeling homesick– a voucher to buy a train ticket home for an upcoming planned weekend.
Low on cash– this is a no brainer! A little cash in an envelope is always appreciated! I have a bet one of the first envelopes to be opened.
Need some extra energy– The image on the open when label says it all! A starbucks gift card will always be redeemed.
Feeling sad– I printed out a bunch of fun photos of family and fun events so she has great memories on hand to look at and remember that everything is just a moment in time.
Need a confidence boost– Here I placed an inspirational quote to keep her going!
You are feeling sick – a packet of tylenol, a packet of herbal tea, small packet of tissues.
Need a good laugh– We all have funny family stories, this is the perfect moment to write down the event and share a long lost memory that is sure to give a laugh! I can’t share that one here, Emma would be too embarrassed!
I love a Printable! You can check out my other printables here, I have lots of great ideas, and free printables. Take a look and feel free to download and use them for your personal use and gift making.
How to Create Open when letters
Below, download and print out the open when labels. Cut them out, and use either double stick tape or glue stick to adhere them into the center of either store bought envelopes, check these from Amazon here or use the envelope template below to create your own. These open when labels are sized for 4 3/8″x 5 3/4″ envelopes.
DOWNLOAD BELOW- Your free Open When labels
Just subscribe below and click the download button for the open when for college students pdf labels. I have also included additional blank templates so that you can add your own! Save the file and you have this all ready for the next student that goes away to college! So easy.
FREE TEMPLATE FOR ENVELOPE-click download button below
You can easily buy these craft envelopes here on Amazon, or if you are like me, make your own! Below Is a printable 4 3/8″ x 5 3/4″ envelope template that you can print and cut out as is, or use as a template and make your own envelope using any letter size construction, craft, or novelty paper.
Open when letters make a perfect gift to either send your college student off with, or an unexpected surprise that they can receive in their college dorm mailbox. You can print these out on fun construction paper, craft paper or regular paper and add your own personal touch. They fit perfectly in a standard letter envelope or you can make your own, using the template that I created.
Print out the envelope template. Crease all dotted lines. Fold both small side tabs in then fold longer bottom tab up. Use either double stick tape, or glue stick and attach the sides of the larger tabs to the side tabs. ( See image above). Fold top tab over, for envelope flap. Once you fill your open when envelopes you can seal them with some glue stick, double stick tape, regular tape, or if you are really fancy, a wax seal!
Free Printable- open when letters
Yep! I am sharing my free printables that can be used to create your own “Open When” packet to send to your own college student that may just need this extra support and love while they are away. Add your own twist on these fun free open when printables. Share in the comments any fun ideas that may add more fun to these.
Each one was created with a graphic that I designed to reflect each envelopes purpose. Once tied up in a bundle they all have a unified, yet individual look for fun each time one of these “open when” envelopes are opened. I sprinkled with a good helping of confetti to keep these festive and appealing.
Supplies & fun stuff for Open when envelopes
- Brown Kraft A2 Invitation Envelopes Self Seal 4 3/8 x 5 3/4– My open when labels fit best on this size, but you can use other sizes as well.
- Fiskars Softgrip Scissors Straight Stainless Steel
- Satin Ribbon– or any cording or raffia you have on hand.
- Stickers Pack– who doesn’t love a sticker? I know Emma has a huge collection of these on her laptop case to reflect part of her personality.
- Starbucks Gift Card– You can also purchase digital download ones, for an instant gift card.
- Multicolor Glitter Confetti Sequins– This always adds a festive mood to anything
- Tazo Herbal Tea Tea Bags– love herbal tea, these small packets are perfect to send.
- Inspirational Quote Keychains– Love the idea of carrying around a motivational quote. You can never have too many of these.
Create your own Open When Letters
So many amazing ideas out there! I gave 15 open when letters for college students, but there are so many more open when letter ideas, below is a list of some additional ideas. All you need to do is create your own open when printable and place them on an envelope! The ideas are endless.
- First Exam
- First day of classes
- Last day of classes
- Before final exams
- Miss Me
- Need a pep talk
- You are not home for a holiday
- You need a hug
- Just because
Share your open when letters for college students creations in the comments. Always love to see how people utilize what I make and what they create on their own. These can also be made for other life events as well. Like a friend moving, for a boyfriend or a girlfriend, even a parent for a fun interactive gift.