My blog periodically contains affiliate links meaning that if you make a purchase, I might make a small commission at no extra charge to you. Purchases made through them are greatly appreciated.
Paint Wrought Iron Furniture
A quick and easy project that can be done in a day! Take a look below for the full transformation on this painted wrought iron bed.
A while back I started painting my mismatched bedroom furniture. You can read that post How to Paint wood Furniture to see the whole transformation of my painted wood pieces. I decided to take my wrought iron bed frame that I have had for many years and give it a refresh. Turning the hunter green into a black satin finish. This transformed it into an updated wow piece. Take a look on how to paint wrought Iron furniture.
Table of Contents
Preparing wrought iron for painting
I pulled apart my frame in order to take it outside to paint my wrought iron furniture piece. note* Never spray paint indoors! paint will go everywhere! One good thing about indoor wrought iron is that it has never been in an outdoor element. It was not rusted, or chipped so no sanding was required.
My sister Nicole came in for San Francisco for the month of September. She and I created Double Arrow designs together in 2013 after our fathers passing. You can read about our journey and story here. We no longer have the business together. So I loved the opportunity for her to do a guest appearance and help me with this redo. It was super fun because we had spent so many saturdays in the past having a meal and doing a project.
Steps to painting wrought iron furniture
- Wipe down all your pieces. always start with a clean slate. Use a damp microfiber cloth. This is the first and most important step! paint cannot cover up dust.
- Take all pieces apart, save all screws, hardware in a ziplock bag so you don’t lose anything!
- Bring all your pieces outside, this was a two person job.
- Lay a huge tarp outside and lean all the wrought iron pieces vertically.
- The tarp will protect your ground and also protect your wrought iron from dirt if on the ground, or getting scratched if you are doing this on concrete.
Ready to paint!
- Use spray paint. I used Rustoleum 2x Paint & primer in a black satin finish. I did not need to primer since it was built into the one I chose and since this is an indoor wrought iron frame it would not have as much wear and tear.
- Evenly spray a thin coat, and keep moving around each piece. Remember that there are many surfaces, especially on decorative wrought iron. Best practice is to turn your piece upside down, on its side to find areas that you may have missed.
- Spray one light coat, then do a second. This will ensure an even spray and avoid build up and drips.
- Let dry, for a few hours- make sure that you look at the weather report so that you don’t end up in the rain!
- Reassemble and dress the bed! Now I have a whole new look and only using two cans of spray.
What kind of paint do you use on wrought iron?
There are a few brands out there that carry spray paint. My go to is Rustoleum. On this specific project I used Rustoleum 2x Paint & primer. Even though this has a primer built in I would first prime any outdoor wrought iron before painting it. It’s just a better practice and the primer will protect the wrought iron better before painting. Kryon is another good brand. You will not go wrong with either one of these brads. I have used both.
Spray paint, like any paint comes in a few finishes. For my bed I used a satin finish which gave it a rich look.
Supplies used for painting wrought iron
See below for the products I used for painting my wrought iron.
Finished wrought iron furniture
This was an easy, quick and inexpensive way to redo my wrought iron bed frame. Now I am now ready to accessorize my bedroom. My beautiful black wrought iron bed frame as the focal point. Loving the blush chenille throw for the upcoming winter months. By adding a few decorative pillows you can really finish off this whole look. You can check out my blog on decorative pillows here for some fun inspirational picks.
Accessories for my Wrought iron bed
Color schemes for wrought iron
Check out Pinterest. This is a great resource to check out other painted wrought iron projects to get an idea of what would work for your own project. There are so many options out there, so ake sure you do your research before you start!
Take a look at some additional projects that you may enjoy that are related to this one.
- Easy steps to Repurposed Patio Furniture– I repurposed my mms old metal patio set
- How To Paint Metal Outdoor Furniture– Old wrought iron set brought back to life!
- Painted Wicker Furniture Makeover – Quick & Easy!– took an old tired chair and revamped it.